January 25, 2018

A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess: A Book Review

Title: A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom On Fire #1)
Author: Jessica Cluess
Publisher: Random House
Publish Date: September 20th 2016
Pages: 416
I am Henrietta Howel. The first female sorcerer. The prophesied one. Or am I?


Henrietta Howel can burst into flames. When she is brought to London to train with Her Majesty's sorcerers, she meets her fellow sorcerer trainees, young men eager to test her powers and her heart. One will challenge her. One will fight for her. One will betray her. As Henrietta discovers the secrets hiding behind the glamour of sorcerer life, she begins to doubt that she's the true prophesied one. With battle looming, how much will she risk to save the city--and the one she loves?



A fast-paced, historical, fantasy book that had me pulled in from the very beginning. I was very intrigued with the synopsis of this when I first learned of this fantastic book and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it to read it. I really loved the whole aspect of this story and the characters. I don’t think there was a single character that I disliked aside from Palehook. I will admit that I’m not a fan of her beloved childhood friend, Rook. But I also think he is one of the aspects that pulled this story together quite nicely. The world building and the scenes of this are wonderfully written and you get a real sense of being there with everyone. Henrietta (Nettie) is definitely a strong female lead with stubbornness and passion throughout her veins. I can identify with her on those levels. I think we see her grow slightly throughout this book as she comes to terms with who she is and what is requested of her. Blackthorn and Magnus are very strong supporting characters and have won my affection at the beginning, even with Blackthorns pride and Magnus’s cockiness. I can’t wait to see where this story goes.







Jessica Cluess is a writer, a graduate of Northwestern University, and an unapologetic nerd. After college, she moved to Los Angeles, where she served coffee to the rich and famous while working on her first novel. When she’s not writing books, she’s an instructor at Writopia Lab, helping kids and teens tell their own stories.Jessica Cluess is a writer, a graduate of Northwestern University, and an unapologetic nerd. After college, she moved to Los Angeles, where she served coffee to the rich and famous while working on her first novel. When she’s not writing books, she’s an instructor at Writopia Lab, helping kids and teens tell their own stories.



Find Jessica: Website | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads





0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...